Some families of victims who died in the June 3 fire and flood disasters in Accra say they are yet to receive their share of the Ghc50 million disaster fund set up by government for those affected.
President John Dramani Mahama had directed the release of part of the money to support victims of the disaster among others.
“Government has allocated an amount of Ghc50 million to cover relief and humanitarian operations, repair of damaged public infrastructure, and desilting and clearing of waterways,” the President stated at a post-national crisis briefing on Thursday, June, 4, 2015.
Speaking to Citi FM however, some families of the victims said government had still not compensated them.
A relative of a victim said the family of the deceased is catering for expenses of the funeral without any support from government.
“It is the family that is catering for the funeral arrangements and we need money to do that, but we don’t have…”
Another said he was asked to submit his name and his telephone details so he could be contacted afterwards to receive some money from government, but he had not yet been called.
“They carried out a DNA test on me to find out if the victim was indeed my mother. After carrying out the DNA test, they discovered that she was indeed related to me so they took my telephone number and name and told me they will contact me, but I have not heard from them.”
The flood and fire disaster caused the death of over 150 people in Accra.
Government has released Ghc501, 500 as the initial payment for the medical bills of those who were affected.
Hospitals that will benefit from this package include the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, 37 Military hospital, the Police Hospital and the Ridge Hospital.
Speaking to Citi News, the Deputy Minister of Health, Dr. Victor Bampoe said: “Government pledged that the hospital bills will be paid and this has now been fulfilled.”
The Finance Ministry a few days ago indicated that it had already begun disbursing the funds for the support of victims.