Ever wondered how to alter the Windows Product ID?
It is possible to alter the Windows Product ID and change it to what ever you like. For example, you can change the Product ID and put your nickname in place of the formal Product ID displayed by the Operating System. This hack is too easy and can be done within minutes. The screenshot showing the altered Product ID is given below
Win 7 PC showing Original PID
Windows 7 PC showing Altered PID
As you can see from the above screenshot it is simple and easy to make your Windows display what ever you want in the place of the real Product ID. Here is a step-by-step procedure to alter your Windows Product ID.
1. Goto Start->Run and type the following in the Run dialog box
2. After you open the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key
HKey_Local_MachineS oftwareMicrosoftWin dows NTCurrent Version
3. On the right hand side, you can see an entry by name ProductID listed under the heading Name.
4. Double-Click on ProductID, a dialog box will pop-up showing your Windows PID. Now you can delete the original PID and enter anything of your choice.
5. Once you are done, just click on OK and close the Registry Editor. Now you can see the altered Product ID in the Windows Properties window.
NOTE: This trick works on Win 7, Vista and Win XP