Meet the five toughest smartphones that can withstand extreme temperatures, water, dust, shock and are hack proofRather than buying a smartphone case to protect your investment, many are considering a really tough phone to begin with. This is especially true for those who work in challenging environments ranging rigs, oil platforms, mines, forests, deep sea shipping to military personnel serving in some of the toughest environments in the world.
To meet this unique demand there a handful of manufacturers who look to deliver Android devices with brains and brawn.
While not all products claim the same level of durability, we have picked the top five so called “tough” phones to see how they’d stand up in most extreme conditions.
1. Caterpillar CAT S50The CAT S50 features 4.7 inch (1280×720 pixels) screen and has a quad-core Qualcomm MSM8926 processor clocked at up to 1.2GHz coupled with 2GB of RAM. The battery will give you up to 16 hours of 3G talk time. The smartphone can function in temperatures ranging from -13°F (-25°C) to 131°F (55 °C) and waterproof up to 1m for 30 minutes and resistant to dust and drops of up to 1.2m. It is also the first Caterpillar smartphone to come with useful and customized applications.
The CAT S50’s retail price is $459.99.
2. Quechua PhoneQuechua has collaborated with Archos, a French manufacturer to manufacture its first smartphone, built “to be mountainproof” (wind, water and dirt). It comes with a touchscreen made of thick hardened glass with a rubber shell as well as it let’s it absorb shocks. Quechua also brags of 22 hours of talk time.
The Quechua Phone 5 is available for $310.
3. Fieldbook F1Logic Instrument’s Fieldbook F1 can theoretically function in extreme temperatures ranging from 14°F (-10°C) to 131°F (55°C), as it is water, shock and dust resistant. This is a quality phablet running on Android Lollipop and comes with a 6 inch HD display (1920×1080 pixels). The Fieldbook F1 is also fitted with many sensors (ambient light, barometer, etc.) which converts the phablet into an actual weather station.
You need to get in touch with the manufacturer for the price of the product.
4. Galaxy Xcover 3The Xcover 3, a sturdy entry-level smartphone from Samsung can handle dust, water, and drops (up to 1.2m). Besides this, it features a 4.5 inch (800×480 pixel) display and is powered by a 1.2GHz quad-core processor. It comes with 1.5GB of RAM coupled with 8GB of internal storage, which is expandable via a microSD card.
The Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 comes for $248.
5. The Turing PhoneAvailable online only from the start of this summer, the Turing Phone calls itself as a safe smartphone, promising the privacy of your data and conversations, which are encoded in a systematic manner. According to its creator, the Turing Phone has a casing made of a never-used-before material called Liquid morphium, which is stronger than titanium and steel, and which keeps it safe from climatic and physical hardships.
Starting at $610, The Turing Phone is available online only.